Our school offers a full range of services ensuring you get the most out of your stay.  From accommodation to welfare support, opening a bank account or starting university.  When you book your course, our bookings team will make you aware of all of the services we offer and will work with you to make sure you have everything organised ahead of your experience.

In particular, where students are travelling to the UK for the first time, or where students are under 18 years old, we recommend that you take extra time to plan your trip and carefully read the information provided on this website and by our bookings team.


Students can choose homestay accommodation, staying with one of our local hosts, or can live more independently at a student residence in Manchester.

We know all of our host families well and we don’t use any outside agencies or place students in homes which have not been inspected by us.

In homestay accommodation, the host treats the student as a full member of the household, eating together and sharing the common living areas; no more than four students will be accommodated in homestay accommodation at any one time ( usually no more than 1 other student)

The student residence is a private building, usually accommodating several hundred students, in single rooms, and is always self-catering.

Age restrictions apply to our accommodation:

  • All students who are under 18 must stay in homestay accommodation, arranged by us.
  • We do not accept individual students who are under the age of 16.
  • Students who are aged 12 -16 must always travel as part of an arranged group.
  • Students who are 18+ can arrange homestay or student residence accommodation with us

Accommodation should be booked early, especially in the summer months of July and August, this will ensure students get matched with the best host family possible and will be certain of an allocated room at the student residence.  For more information about accommodation, please visit our Accommodation page.

Student Travel and Medical Insurance>

We strongly advise students to take out travel and medical insurance before leaving to study English in the UK.

We can assist with this and a policy can be purchased from us at the same time as booking your course.  Having this policy means you are covered in the event of any loss or damage to personal possessions, illness and loss of tuition fees if you need to finish your course early.

The insurance we provide is from a third party, Guardme insurance. We recommend to watch this video before deciding if it is right for you.  You can also request to see a sample policy from our bookings team.

Airport Transfers>

  • We can arrange either a one-way or a return transfer for students.
  • Transfers are only available from Manchester International Airport. Speak to our bookings team if you require information about a transfer from a different UK airport.
  • All students who are under 18 must arrange a transfer upon a arrival with the school. Alternatively, proof of responsible transfer plans must be given to the school before arrival.
  • Transfer details will be sent to you approximately 2 weeks before arrival.
  • You must supply your flight details at least 1 week before arrival.

Academic and Career Support>

The Essential English Centre has much experience in assisting students with academic queries and issues. We can help you with the following areas:

  • Careers Advice and Guidance (CV checking and advice, assistance with National Insurance numbers, arrangement of voluntary work experience in the Manchester area)
  • UK Education options advice

The Essential English Centre has a partnership with a specialist education consultancy in Manchester where you can receive assistance with university applications, tailored advice on the best courses to choose in Further and Higher Education and assistance with communication between student and educational institutions of choice.

Wellbeing and Welfare Support>

Your wellbeing and welfare is of the utmost importance to us. We want to make sure that you are well, healthy and happy during your time with us, and our dedicated support staff are here to help you at all times.

Students from a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland should ensure they have a valid EHIC card.  This card means you can access free treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home. 

Students from outside the EEA  may have to pay for medical treatment whilst in the UK. 

Dental treatment is not usually free in the UK and all students should expect to pay for treatment.

We can help you with many different types of issue, and will let you know where in Manchester is the best place to go to help you. We assist with:

  • Questions about health and medical issues
  • How to meet new people (outside of school) and make new friends
  • How to access sports and social facilities and activities in Manchester
  • Dealing with the local council and other authorities
  • General pastoral support

Being Happy

We are here to listen and help you with day to day life in Manchester.

Religion and Faith

Manchester is a diverse, multicultural city and those who wish to observe their faith can seek advice on places of worship.

Health and Safety

We offer advice on how to seek medical help in the UK. It is important you understand what health services are available to you when you are visiting the UK.  If you are unsure, you should ask the bookings team for information before you arrive.


It is important that students arrive to the UK understanding the level of support they have both inside and outside of school. The school has detailed policies which protect students and ensures they can expect to have a happy and safe experience.

Sometimes emergencies do happen and we want all of our students, parents and agents to know that we will be there to offer full support in such circumstances.

We have:

  • First Aid trained staff onsite
  • Emergency mobile – 24/7

Should anything happen to you while you are in Manchester, there will ALWAYS be someone to help you.

Care of students under 18>

The Essential English Centre accepts junior students ( under 18’s students) to study at school.

  • Students who are 16 and 17 can study in the adult classes
  • Student who are 12-17 can study on a junior, private group course, accompanied by a designated group leader. We do not accept individual students who are under 16 and travelling on their own to the UK. 

In both cases, The Essential English Centre operates in the knowledge that any person under the age of 18 is legally a child in England and recognises that as an organisation, we have a legal duty of care towards children.  We are committed to a practice where children, young people and vulnerable adults are protected from harm

It is important for all parents and students to understand the level of care and support we offer to students who are under 18 before booking a course.  If you would like to register a student who is under 18 then it is important that you contact the bookings team directly,